I learned many lessons from my first round of seed sprouting. Mainly, to thoroughly soak the soil and after the seeds sprouted, keep them very moist. I was doing that well with my next round, Roma tomatoes, Cherry tomatoes and thyme. I had an amazing array of seed sprouts. Two, three and sometimes four sprouts per egg hole in my seed sprouting system. I was already worrying about how I was going to have to thin them out.
Then the dreaded late Easter. I gave them a thorough soaking and put them in a window where they would get afternoon sun, crossed my fingers and abandoned my poor seedlings for four days. Upon returning, I hurried to where they were and there were no bobbing seedling heads to greet me. All the seedlings looked like they had given up. But I didn’t give up on them. I gave them another thorough soaking and got them back under the lamps.
I have some coming back. There seems to be a bit of survival of the fittest going on in seedland. I imagine if they can survive the “Great Easter Drought” I’ll be able to get some tomatoes out of them. I hope. Besides, what would I have done with all those tomato plants.